With more than 20 years of experience in International Intellectual Property Law, Dr. McCallum is a standout in her industry with exceptionally focused expertise in successfully representing biotechnology, pharmaceutical, nanotechnology, renewable energy and medical device companies. She is actively involved in litigation relating to Intellectual Property, such as patent infringement litigation, interferences, mediation and/or arbitration. She also assists her clients with the sale or licensing of their IP and frequently works overseas rolling out new technologies.
Dr. McCallum is passionate about her case work and successfully argued a case that made private storage of stem cells available to all expectant parents, worked to achieve issuance of the first permit for the production of pharmaceuticals in plants in Colorado, represented two Universities in an inventorship dispute against an Australian pharmaceutical company, and represented a US company against a Chinese company in a complex international dispute relating to improper use of technology.
Far beyond her title of patent attorney, Dr. McCallum facilitates global deal flow on behalf of her many clients worldwide including investment banks, venture capital groups, universities, private equity, family offices and bankruptcy trustees. Dr. McCallum provides advice and counsel to business entities of every type, assisting organizations in various financial transactions, such as acquisitions or mergers, large-scale funding events, global expansion of markets and global sale of commodity items. She is also involved in directing the regulatory and clinical research efforts of many of her clients in order to assist with development of new drugs and/or devices. She also does due diligence for many of her financial clients prior to them investing funds into a company and then negotiates, papers and closes those deals. She also sits on several boards of those portfolio companies to represent her client’s interests going forward.
As the founder and lead attorney of The McCallum Law firm PC, Dr. McCallum exhibits the highest moral and ethical standards and accepts no less from her clients. Integrity above all else is the foundation of firm execution. Dr. McCallum earned her Ph.D. in Physiology from Colorado State University and her J.D. from the University of Colorado.
Dr. McCallum has received many accolades over the span of two decades including:
- Appointment by Gov. Owens to the Biotechnology Council
- Voted one of the 40 top business leaders under the age of 40 by the Denver Business Journal
- Voted Outstanding Woman in Business in the professional services category in 2004 by the Denver Business Journal
- Received four appointments as the Vice-Chair of the American Bar Association’s Committee on Bioethics.
- Sponsored in 2006 by the American Bar Association for an en banc admission to the US Supreme Court.
- McCallum Law voted one of the 25 top woman-owned businesses in Colorado two years in a row.
- Honored as Alumni of the Year by both her undergraduate and graduate universities
Dr. McCallum performs frequent speaking engagements including:
- Keynote speaker at the International Stem Cell Conference in London
- Keynote speaker at the Stem Cell Research and Human Cloning Symposium in Boston
- Frequent speaker at the annual American Intellectual Property Law Association and American Bar Association Intellectual Property meetings in DC.
- Frequent speaker at various technology, private equity and/or scientific meetings
Dr. McCallum also works as an expert witness and has worked closely throughout her career with many of her clients to develop a variety of new technologies.
- An international Intellectual Property Law Firm focused on representing biotechnology, pharmaceutical, nanotechnology, renewable energy and medical device companies; financial entities of many types, such as venture capital groups and investment banks; universities; and bankruptcy trustees.
Articles & Publications
- “The Reality of Restricting Patent Rights on Morally Controversial Subject Matter”, McCallum, New England Law Review, 2005.
- “Legal Issues Inherent in Reproductive Technologies and the Donation of Genetic Materials”, McCallum, American Bar Association Real Property Probate and Trust Journal, 2005.
- Radioimmunoassay, McCallum/Nett, The Encyclopedia of Reproduction, 1999.
- “Characterization of an Intrinsiclly Fluorescent Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone Receptor and Effects of Ligand Binding on Receptor Lateral Diffusion”, McCallum/Nelson/Horvat/Roess/Barisas/Clay, Endocrinology, 1999.
Recognition, Honors and Awards
- Voted one of the Top 40 Business Leaders Under 40 by the Denver Business Journal in 2003.
- Appointed by Governor Owens to the State of Colorado Biotechnology Council in 2003.
- Keynote legal speaker at International Stem Cell Conference in London in 2003.
- Winner of Outstanding Woman in Business in 2005. Runner up for Business Woman of the Year by the Denver Business Journal in 2004.
- Featured as an attorney of excellence for her use of technology in an American Bar Association Law Practice Management Journal.
- Received four Appointments as American Bar Association Vice-Chair of Bioethics Committee.
- Voted twice as One of the Top 25 Woman-Owned Businesses in Colorado by the Boulder Daily Camera.
- Voted Rising Star in Legal Field by Super Leaders in 2009, 2010 and 2011.
- Recognized by 5280 Magazine as Top Young Attorney in 2009, 2010 and 2011.
- Named Distinguished Alumni for College of Natural Sciences for California State University Chico in 2012.
Pro Bono Activities
- Pro Bono Attorney for a Children’s Library and assisted with providing a full-service library for the children of her community.
- Representation of the Colorado Bar Association in an Intellectual Property matter.
- Representation of a variety of start-ups in a variety of technology areas.
- Helped organize construction of regional park
- Active participant and organizer in numerous fund-raising events
- Active participant in all aspects of opening and maintaining children’s library
- Active supporter of economic development in Erie
- Founding board member of an Economic Development Council in Town of Erie
- Leadership position on several Erie City Council and Mayoral races, as well as several issue campaigns
- Led campaign to support addition of a canine officer to the local police department
- University of Colorado at Boulder - JD
Women's Forum of CO Scholarship
Who's Who of Law Students
- Colorado State University - Doctorate of Philosophy-Physiology
Patricia Harris Congressional Fellow for Excellence in Science
- California State University, Chico - BS - Biological Sciences
Omicron Theta Epsilon Biological Honor Society
George E. Corsen Biological Honor Scholarship
Golden Key National Honor Society
Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society
Chemistry Dept. Award of Distinction
Member, Forensics Team
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
Member Since: 1998 - 1998
Vice Chair, Probate and Trust Division Committee on Bioethics, 2003-present Committee Member: Chemical Practice, 1998-present Committee Member: Biotechnology Practice, 1998-present Committee Member: Plant Patent Practice, 1998-present
- Colorado Women's Bar Association
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
Member Since: 1992 - 2000
- Society for the Study of Reproduction
Get in Touch
- 1 Over 20 Years of Experience
- 2 Worldwide Representation
- 3 Put Our Experience to Work